Friday, June 4, 2010

Loop 2

I headed out for loop 2. This loop proved a bit more difficult as I felt like a knife was being thrust into my right kneecap with every step I took. Still being reasonably 'fresh', I was able to focus on other things..... like the fact that it was getting substantially warmer.

I used a port-o-john at the 2nd aid station. This was the only time I went to the bathroom during the race. That is not a good thing. I suppose I should set the stage...... thinking that I wasn't going to be able to complete even one lap of the course, I didn't bother hydrating. The week before the race, my water intake was poor to non-existent. This is not advisable, and not my usual practice. I was bummed out and having myself a 'pity party'. Generally, I try to drink 1.5 litters + a day. I usually travel everywhere with my big bottle of water (that I flavor with those packets of low calorie stuff).

Anyways.......... I want to take this time to recognize the efforts of Andrew and Jodie. They set up their own cheering station (in the blazing sun) in an area that would allow me to see them twice during the first half of the loop. They cheered, snapped photos and offered encouraging words to not only myself, but all who ran by. I want you both to know how much your support meant to myself and the other runners. On more than one occasion, I was told how encouraging and uplifting it was to have the two of you there. On behalf of myself and the other runners "THANK YOU"!!!

During this loop, the hills became a little steeper, a little closer together, and a little more daunting. I had altered my running form to ease the pain in my legs, back and knees (a bad idea that I will be paying for... all summer long). I finished up the lap thinking that if I backed out at that point, I could probably recover from my injury in a reasonable amount of time. That was the logical decision.

BUT......... A tiny voice in the back of my head told me that, maybe, if the running gods smiled upon me, I could finish between 10:45- 11:15. That really excited me. My legs had held on for this long, why couldn't they just hold on longer?

I had to find out!

Please note that I mean no disrespect to anyone's religious views when I refer to 'the running gods'.

After the 2nd loop I sat down and taped my foot up where I was forming a blister. I really recommend mole skin!!! The stuff is a little gift to your toes and feet (just don't adhere it to any areas that have open sores, blisters, or scabs.... you'll have to trust me on that one).

I drank some boost, took some electrolytes, changed my shoes, wiped my hands and body down with baby wipes, and took some ibuprofen. I know it's not the best idea to take ibuprofen...... I REALLY needed it..... if my kidney's decided to fail, maybe then I would have considered a DNF.

Gailanne, Jodie and Andrew were so supportive and helpful with that second transition that I headed out on the 3rd loop feeling so pumped and energized!!! I knew that I had one more lap to finish on my own before Gailanne was going to run with me. I thought that I could push past the pain, finish the loop and use some of her energy to take me to the finish. I was very optimistic!!!!!

All that changed after the first few minutes of loop 3.....

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


northernbliss said...

I am breathlessly waiting for the 3rd installment - don't leave us hanging for too long...
I bet Jodie, Gailanne and Andrew had a blast cheering you guys on - that is part of race day experience as well.

Stuart said...

Oh come on....this is just not fair!

Stacey said...

LOL Stuart :-)