Advice by Scott Mills:
1) Never give up. Never Surrender.
2) When things get really bad…..take care of your body with food and meds and get back out there. You can have an incredible turnaround in a relatively short period of time.
3) Put you head down and run like hell in the last 10 (20?) miles…..pain will be secondary to your improving time and you will eat up real estate at the end.
4) Go out relatively conservative (and smartly) early on.
5) No matter how bad you feel…..you can turn it around and do your best toward the end. “It never ever always gets worse”
6) Don’t over train AND taper well….your base is well established and you will be better off rested than running a lot up to the race even though you may think you are not in the best of shape. Muscle memory is there for those who have run a lot over the years.
Quote from an article on the iRunFar website